MBA Executive Retail Management (Senior Leader Master's Degree Apprenticeship Route)
Our MBA Executive Retail Management (Senior Leader Master’s Degree Apprenticeship Route) allows you to invest in your leadership team by combining university education, work-based learning and ongoing professional development. While working as a valuable part of your team, your apprentices can prepare for a career at senior management level and develop the skills required to tackle complex, strategic business challenges in one of the largest economic sectors.
This course is 'Subject to Approval' and has not yet completed the University’s approvals process. Whilst we are confident that the course will be approved, there is the possibility that the course may not run or may be subject to alterations. This course is due to be validated by September 2018 after which we will write to all applicants who have applied for the course to let them know the outcome and of any changes. In the event that a course is not approved the University will make reasonable efforts to offer an alternative course at the University.
The programme specifically seeks to develop the future leaders of retail organisations through developing their critical knowledge of retail organisations, their management and the changing external contexts in which they operate. It’s designed to develop their knowledge and skills in strategic thinking appropriate for today’s retail environment and challenge their leadership skills and style.
Our MBA Executive Retail Management (Senior Leader Master’s Degree Apprenticeship Route) is aimed at those with significant retail management experience. The course has been informed by employers and designed in collaboration with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) to qualify as a Level 7 Apprenticeship under the Apprenticeship Levy guidelines. Study at the Institute of Management Greater Manchester complements learning in the workplace, supporting your apprentices as they learn to provide direction and vision, a clear sense of organisational purpose and drive strategic intent.
Your apprentices will spend 80% of their time at work and 20% at the Institute, usually on a day-release basis. Our expert staff will guide them as they learn to take into account retail market trends and environmental influences to identify longer-term opportunities and risks. We’ll support them to become inclusive leaders, with the skills to develop ethical, innovative and supportive cultures that deliver results. Our dedicated team will also help them grow into their position as a role model with responsibility for others holding senior positions and significant organisational budgets.
Our flexible programme recognises the wide range of retail environments and the specific challenges they pose. We’ll work with you to devise individual learning agreements for each of your apprentices, ensuring they fulfil the core and essential criteria of the Senior Leader Master’s Degree Apprenticeship, as well as develop additional skills and knowledge valuable for your organisation. Throughout the course, we’ll guide them as they build a portfolio of evidence representing the projects and tasks they have completed while working as part of your team.
If you’re looking for postgraduate-level training in this subject area but don’t work for an employer who is offering apprenticeships, please see our related courses section for details of study opportunities that don’t require current employment.
- Location: The University of Bolton
- Award: MBA
- Duration: 30 months
- When apprentices successfully complete the end point assessment for this course, they will receive a Master’s Degree Apprenticeship, and be awarded an academic degree – the MBA Executive Retail Management (Senior Leader Master’s Degree Apprenticeship Route) from the University of Bolton.
- Face-to-face sessions and one-to-one support is offered by our team of highly experienced and enthusiastic lecturers who have worked in a wide variety of businesses ranging from multinational retail organisations to SMEs.
- We’ll support your apprentices to develop sought-after skills focused on enhancing organisational performance in areas such as strategy, innovation, change, enterprise, risk management and finance, alongside effective personal and interpersonal behaviours like courage, good judgement and the ability to lead by example.
- By helping apprentices gain in depth knowledge of areas such as employee engagement, leading and developing people and collaborative relationship building, we aim to foster their ability to create an inclusive culture, balance people and technical skills, and influence and negotiate to build effective collaborations.
- During the final stage of the course, your apprentice will undertake a substantial work-based research project, the nature of which will be identified and developed through consultation between your organisation and the Institute. As well as offering your apprentice valuable experience, this live project can offer you genuine insight into potential opportunities or improvements that can benefit your organisation.
- We’ll encourage your apprentices to join the Chartered Management Institute (CMI), and guide them as they gather a portfolio of evidence ready to support their future application for Chartered Manager (CMgr) status.
- This two-year part-time course skilfully combines study in our vibrant Institute of Management environment with practical and focused work-based learning and experience in your organisation.
- Course materials are available online, allowing your apprentices to prepare work at home and make the most of the highly interactive in-class tuition.
- Our approach to teaching and learning is ‘student-centred’, so we’ll work with your apprentices on an individual basis, providing tailored help and support throughout their studies.
- By studying alongside Senior Leader apprentices from other industrial sectors, your apprentices can benefit from a wider range of experience that supports cross-disciplinary and innovative thinking.
- Quarterly and annual reviews, where each apprentice, their workplace mentor and a member of our team meet to assess your apprentice’s progress, promote continuing conversation between your workplace and the Institute. This helps to ensure the success of your apprentices and maximise the value of their studies to your organisation.
- Location: The University of Bolton
- Award: MBA
- Duration: 30 months
Normally, applicants are expected to have both of the following: significant work experience in a business or management capacity; and a UK Honours degree/postgraduate degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject.
Applicants should also have Level 2 qualifications in English and Mathematics; for instance GCSE grade C or above or grade 4 to 9 (or equivalent).
Applicants will also be considered if they have substantial management experience, but do not possess a degree.
Applicants should provide references from their previous/employer(s) to indicate the level of business and management experience they possess. The reference should clearly state how long they have been employed and give a breakdown of their job content and roles and responsibilities.
All application forms will need to be accompanied by a reflective overview of the managerial responsibilities that applicants have undertaken to date.
Admission to this programme is only available to candidates who meet the following criteria. 1) They are employed for a minimum of 30 hours per week in a role relevant to the apprenticeship. 2) They have the right to live and work in the UK. 3) Their employer is participating in the Degree Apprenticeship scheme. 4) Their employer is willing to sponsor them to attend the University one day per week (times and dates to be determined). Please note that an apprentice cannot be self-employed.
If an applicant doesn’t possess GCSEs in English and Mathematics at grade C or above or grade 4 to 9, or hold an equivalent such as Functional Skills Level 2 in Literacy and Numeracy, they will be asked to complete initial assessments for English and mathematics. The results of these assessments will determine whether they are accepted on to the apprenticeship with their current qualifications, or a recommendation of delayed entry is made so they can undertake studies enabling them to achieve the required level of English and mathematics prior to commencing the apprenticeship.
Applicants may be required to attend an interview and/or provide a portfolio of work.
If English isn’t the applicant's first language they will also need IELTS 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in any band (or equivalent). We also accept a range of other English language qualifications – please visit our English Language Requirements web page for more details. Find out more
To be eligible for tuition fee funding through the Apprenticeship Levy, candidates should not normally have already completed a qualification at the same level as the proposed apprenticeship, unless that qualification was gained in a completely unrelated discipline.
What can I do with this qualification?
After successfully completing this MBA programme, apprentices may apply for membership of the Chartered Management Institute. Please note that terms and conditions apply. More details are available from http://www.managers.org.uk/
The University of Bolton will be seeking dual award agreement with the CMI for the Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership within six months of validation of this course.
No fee information is currently available, please contact Student Data Management on 01204 903059 or SDMenquiries@bolton.ac.uk for more informationUseful information
Apprentices will not be expected to pay tuition fees towards this programme. Your organisation may be able to fund this Degree Apprenticeship though the Apprenticeship Levy (if your organisation is paying the levy).
The fees for a student’s course of study will be set for the normal duration of that course subject only to inflationary increases – measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) recorded in March each year to take effect for subsequent start dates.
The University is currently awaiting Government guidelines as to EU fee charges for students commencing study in 2019/20.
UK undergraduate tuition fees are subject to UK government approval and are subject to the outcome of the Teaching Excellence Framework.
No hidden extras
- There may be some additional or optional costs associated with this course. These will be published after approval of the programme. ()
Please contact the programme leader for details of the application procedure. You can find their name, email address and phone number in the Contact us section of this page.
For tailored support and advice regarding apprenticeships, please visit http://uob.ac/connectED
International applications are not possible for this course
As an international student you are not allowed to study this course because of the restrictions on your visa.
We offer a wide range of full-time courses in lots of different subjects, many of our courses start in September and January. If you would like to see what courses are available please visit our Course Search.
Contact The University
The University of Bolton